Saturday 12 June 2021

Hull ready for glassing, trailer

It took me 2 days to prepare the hull for glassing, plus some fairing compound and some sanding. The chines are rounded over and made as smooth as they will get - using a long board aka a torture board ;)


I'll start later in the afternoon when the temperature in the workshop drops to 20 degrees or so. I still haven't decided on a layup schedule, we will see how that goes. I will for sure have at least 600g on the bottom, the rest 300 mostly, except the bow which needs to be a bit stronger, especially on and below the water line and around the chainplate attachment points - but that can also be reinforced later.

Also: I got a brand new 10 year old boat trailer - 700kg allowed load, which is plenty for this boat. It is made for motorboats - the rollers are in a straight line and are expecting to support a straight piece of skeg or a false keel. I don't have one so I'll have to figure out how to best do this. Funny thing is: this one was very hard to find - no new ones are produced at the moment (maybe in september) and aluminium prices are apparently so high that nobody is selling theirs... So as can be seen here I did find one, but I had to take my son for a roadtrip to pick it up. 600km away. In Cannes. A fun trip it was. We even got to jump in the Med for an hour, but that is a different story.


In two weeks we will be already travelling, so I think I'll skip fairing and painting the hull until after the move. I will fair the bottom under the waterlin, I don't want to have to keep flipping the boat. I do hope I will manage to close the deck and cocpit - a piece of tarp is less reliable in transit:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

The tent is back

Finally the workshop stands again. After a lot of busywork and other projects I finally managed (with some help) to prep a place for the ten...